Thursday, March 15, 2012


Daffy

When spring arrives, I sometimes get the $1.49 bunches of daffodils from Trader Joe's--just because.

Yesterday, I was in Safeway. It was late and I was tired. There was only one checkout line open. But I picked up one bunch of the 2/$3 daffodils, which are larger than the ones at Trader Joe's. I figured I'd give them a try.

The woman in front of me was annoying me with her loud cell phone talking, her paying with a check, and her not quite moving things along so I could get home.

In my saintly pose, I bore this "trial" as best I could. Suddenly she turned to me and said that those daffodils were amazing and that they bloomed so big. I smiled as I replied. My heart softened...even though I still wanted her to hurry up.

And she was right, late last night many of the flowers were closed, but by this morning they had bloomed quite large, even with minimal sunlight peeking through the blinds.

No comments: