Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Sticks and Stones

The other day a gentleman tried to get my attention as I walked down the street. He did not speak to me directly, but instead said something in my ear as he rushed past me. I barely knew he had spoken, but no matter. the fact that I didn't reply was proof enough that I was set on ignoring and disrespecting him.

He began to yell back over his shoulder at me. "I SAID Hello!!!"

Normally I ignore this sorts of thing--there is no need for me to get stabbed in the eye by some lunatic. But for some reason that day I was annoyed enough to yell back. I don't even know what I said. Something about talking to people and not whispering in their ears.

Then I went into Starbucks. The older man and his daughter who had witnessed all of this also went into Starbucks.

I got in line and perused the front page of a newspaper. Lo and behold the "gentleman caller" also decided to patronize Starbucks. "What did you say?"

"It was nice meeting you. Goodbye." Then I returned to my paper.

He paused and then made ready to hurl his insult. "Nerd," he said as if I were a truly despicable creature.

Obviously,during our brief encounter, he had managed to look inside my soul. But, is that any way to treat your true love?

I threw my head back and laughed, as the older man stared.

No comments: